When I was still a kid, the idea of eating green leafy things didn’t appeal to me at all, I mean how can a frail-looking sailor suddenly develop a buffed bud after eating this vegetable? That was then.
The truth about spinach (Spinacia oleracea) is that it is indeed a power food. It’s packed with vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidant contents. It’s one of the most gracious green and leafy vegetables around. In fact, the more green and vibrant their colors are, the higher are their nutritional values.
The health benefits of spinach include: Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine), Vitamin B9 (Folic acid), Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Manganese, Magnesium, Iron, Calcium, Potassium, Fiber, and Protein. Others nutrients include: Zinc, Choline, Omega-3, Anti-oxidants and Flavonoids.
Health Benefits of Spinach to Our Bodies
Let’s look at the potential health benefits of spinach to our daily lives.
- Folate, fibers and the rich antioxidant contents of spinach help promote cardiovascular health. Folate helps lower the homocysteine levels of our blood; while fiber aids in controlling our blood sugar level. The antioxidants aid in the prevention of other heart and blood diseases such as stroke and diabetes.
- Vitamin K, C, E and beta-carotene contents are the health benefits of spinach that promotes bone health. More so, the calcium that we absorb from spinach helps strengthen our bones. You can fight away disease like osteoporosis with regular spinach intake.
- Vitamin K also promotes brain health and a well-functioning nervous system. The flavonoids present in spinach not only feed the brain cells which helps improve memory retention; they also slow the process of aging.
- Vitamin A is one of the health benefits of spinach which promotes skin health. It helps maintain our skin fresh and aglow. Spinach helps fight skin problems whether it’s a simple pimple issue or a severe psoriasis condition.
- The health benefits of spinach also include eye health. Carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin are also present in spinach. They help prevent degenerative diseases of the eyes like macular degeneration and cataracts.
Other health benefits of spinach include digestive health and stronger defense systems which help us fight certain cancers such as the lung, breast and prostate cancers.